Sunday, December 18, 2016

Second (or third) author’s word - Thunder Road: Ice and Fire

  Publishing this at the start of a new year is quite fitting.
  It suddenly dawned on me recently, when I sat there with Thunder Road: Ice and Fire, the fifteenth book I’ve published in six years that not only have I become a seasoned author, but also a seasoned publisher.
  I’ve also become an experienced editor, which I see as more than a little ironic, but my guess, as a fairly experienced human being is that life is filled with such moments.
  It was a slow process, spanning many years, with many small victories and ongoing progress. For some reason I really struggled with the editing and final touch this time. It is my second longest novel, 220 000 words and that probably played a part in my struggles, but there were other factors as well, like this being one of my most ambitious projects and such. It wasn’t exactly hard or difficult, just extensive and demanding. It took me months and two postponements from the original publication date to complete the finishing touch.

  I’ve got tons of extra material on the website for this one, so much accumulated information. As stated I could have written a novel with a million words with all the source material available. A lot of what isn’t in the book is on the website. Humanity’s immediate future is described in the book and why is described in more detail on the companion pages. As usual the site is both for those who have and haven’t read the novel, both an introduction and a companion to the book. I didn’t have to write most of it, since I’ve already done that the last twenty-five years and published it both on and off the Internet. I did research in various forms when writing the novel, but most of it was/is my life, things that have been an integrated part of me my entire adult life. The research was mostly additions to what I already knew intimately. I’ve been an environmental activist for at least thirty years. The story, though I certainly struggled, like I always do, with the plot and its consistency practically wrote itself.
  Even if each story is also an exploration, a great journey into the unknown, you write about what you know and often write better about what you know best.
  Even if I’ve had the story on paper for twenty years and in my head even longer the extensions and also most recent extensions helped me go even deeper into the material. I’ve also had more time to develop and complete the website, more time with everything, period. And on the even more positive side, I’ve probably created millions of new brain cells and neural pathways because of it.
  Some of my books have waited decades to be published, while others may be published the same year the writing is complete, that’s just how it is.
  Thus speaks the veteran author/artist and publisher.

  I’m proud to claim that this is the ultimate survivalist story. The people described in the novel plan for the collapse, but the unexpected happens, and they’re forced down an even harder path.
  My novel isn’t about the end of civilization. It isn’t a story from the end of civilization. It is the end of civilization…

No comments: