Tuesday, February 02, 2016

Author's word - Falling

  It took more time than I initially believed to be the case to complete this one. The story turned out to be much longer than I initially thought it would be. It needed a far more detailed backdrop, and thus I provided it.
  It always feels strange to write the final scene, the words and story you have waited for years to complete and carried in your mind even longer. I had, have notes, of course, but not the complete, fleshed out ending, even though there have been occasions where I have written the final chapter first or early, like with Your Own Fate.
  I started on book two of the trilogy months ago. I wrote the fallout of the ending before I wrote the ending.
  This is the fifteenth novel I’ve written, and just pondering that fact makes my thoughts flow. It’s different from all the other books I’ve written, like they’re all different from each other. That has been my tenet from the start, and I know now that I will always stick to it.
  I have secrets with this novel, this book, like I have with all the others, first hand knowledge of the story and of the motivations of the author that I will take with me to the grave…
  I quite enjoy that.
  In order to finish the story faster than I otherwise would have done, I have much more than usual written solely on this one. I have not exactly ignored the other four novels I’m currently writing, but they have been on the backburner for a while. Now, they slowly re-emerge to the foreground of my attention, which is fun in itself.

  Usually I don’t use archaic and little used wording and phrases excessively, but this time I have sort of encouraged my own use of it, practically excelled in it. You will quickly realize why.

  One very interesting item: Writing this novel has shown me, even more than before what life and writing is, how similar life and writing are. One decision or act, once made reverberates from that point and changes the rest of your life in smaller and bigger, often irreversible ways. I make a decision in chapter fourteen, something not given in advance, something not strictly necessary for the story, and practically everything changes. I had no idea, no conscious awareness of where it would lead. It felt like a logical progression at the time, a way of developing the plot, but the result, totally unforeseen resulted in a number of other changes later on that again would lead to other changes and so on.
  The overall story would have managed fairly well without all that, but it would have been a much shorter, less interesting, meager result. It’s very funny and fulfilling; I seek variety and depth and realism, and the end result is far superior to what I at that moment in the past could imagine. The novel grew, and I grew with it.
  One word may change everything, and one act alone may transform you and your surroundings, your very world, for better or for worse.
  I had confirmed to myself another tenet of mine, another general rule: Don’t rush things!


  It’s such a pleasure being an author.

No comments: