Sunday, August 02, 2015

Twenty months

  Since I bought my Canon EOS 5D Mark III I have made approximately 7500 image files, both photographs and film cuts. Of those about one tenth has been useful in some way, and will be used in some way or another.
  I will always take far more photos and files than I use, but I don’t delete anything or much. They all tell my story during the time period in question to some extent.
  I learned to use it, to more or less master its very intuitive technical hurdles in just three days. To work off my rustiness brought on by my long break and to an extent master photography again, took longer. But during this time I have learned the answers to most of those questions I had before I procured the camera about photography and movie productions, found far more and learned a lot in the process. As with most things I do, it’s a matter of unending, life-long learning.
  Adobe Creative Cloud, with Photoshop, InDesign, Premiere and other applications is also a part of this. It clearly adds to and enriches my experience of the camera further.
  I am quite pleased with my Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG «Art» wide angle lens. The occasional vignetting in F1.4 and 2.0 is significant, but can easily be removed in Adobe Photoshop if desirable. With me, enjoying shadows and dark fields in many pictures it very often isn’t.
  This is my only lens so far. That can feel limiting at times, of course, but it also encourages me to blow away whatever limitations there are or might be. You don’t take portraits with a wide angle lens, some photographers claim. I do! I take all kinds of photos with it, actually, except close up wild animal photos. That’s as close to being impossible you can get.
  Anyway, as I often do I work well with imposed limitations, both because I have to and because I can. Being a man lacking financial muscles I’ve taught myself to expand the possible into the impossible. I’ve taught myself to work and grow with a zero-budget, which is liberating in itself. You kind of force-grow your creativity, adding further to your enjoyment of the process.
  There are inevitable frustrations, but I’ve taught myself to deal with them, too, taught myself even more patience. Like with my novels and other things, I get things done, even though it takes time.
  I saved money for five years before being able to procure this camera. It was worth it.
  In 2008, when the Mark 2 was released, I knew it wasn’t quite what I was looking for, but I also knew the next step in digital evolution would be. I was right.

  I waited for the Mark 2 to metamorphose into Mark 3. It was worth it.

No comments: