Tuesday, October 21, 2014

The great coming of the Night

  Now and then, it’s great to just sit still and watch as it turns darker outside, to keep all electrical lights switched off and watch Night approach.
  The shadows turn longer and the very air around you changes in startling ways. The western horizon turns into beautiful and ever-shifting variations of red. The colors seem to be fading, but are in truth only metamorphosing into a different frequency your eyes can’t catch. The gray light of day Goes Away, and you feel yourself awakening from your slumber.
  And when you sit there, immersed in the vast darkness, listening with known and unknown senses, you don’t turn the lights on, but remain there for as long as you feel like it, enjoying the sensation when thoughts and creativity flow freely.
  All kinds of thoughts and sensations come to you.

  I enjoy the night, enjoy it and its experience immensely. It’s when I do most of my work and the best. Lately, I've been able to enjoy it even more, like I do every time I fill my fridge and stay at home in my cave, forest and mountain, and even though I also have to occasionally do it for economic reasons, have to drastically cut my expenses, I would have done it anyway.
  There is little or no pattern to anything I do. I go to sleep when I’m tired, wake up when I’m not, and there’s a freedom to that everyone should taste and enjoy. I don’t actually have to do anything, except eat and drink, pee and shit.
  My natural sleep pattern is during the day. I usually have breakfast at dusk. During the winter half of the year I hardly see the sun at all.
  The night lasts eighteen hours and I rejoice.
  I haven’t been to the city for three weeks and I don’t really miss it. I didn't miss it when I was months and even eighteen months away from it either.
  I can enjoy myself there, but aside from when I visit the urban wilderness of London and similar, it’s a different kind of enjoyment, one not touching me so deeply.

  "Montgomery told me that the Law... became oddly weakened about nightfall;
that then the animal was at its strongest;
a spirit of adventure sprang up in them at the dusk;
they would dare things they never seemed to dream about by day".

H. G. Wells
The Island of Dr. Moreau

  I dream about it, the true life of a Human Being all the time, also in the most glaring daylight, but the great and irresistible drive to think and act free of restraint and oppression is strongest at night. Dreams Belong to the Night!

No comments: