Saturday, April 19, 2014

True artistic freedom (VII) - writing movies

  «Professional» (mainstream, established) scriptwriters keep telling me there is a huge difference between writing novels and writing scripts. I keep telling them that that just isn’t the case. The fact that most of them want to write mainstream, using the method demanded by the established industry certainly doesn't impress me.
  The writer/director, the auteur writes for himself/herself and not for other directors.
  I purposely do things at least slightly different, for instance to distance myself from mainstream filmmaking, among other things using a different font. I couldn’t be less impressed with experienced moviemakers threatening to not read my scripts if not everything is done according to their specifications, to «industry standard».
  The editor has a slightly different job description in the movie business compared with book-publishing, but they are just as much a tool for those in charge. The way films have been made for hundred years is mostly a result of how the early movie-making worked, particularly with big studio productions. It has no true relevance to how film should or can be made. Film, like books shouldn’t be made by committee, but by one storyteller in charge. At least it can easily be made that way. Even though I have enjoyed some films made by the system put in place by the major studios I don’t feel I own them any allegiance. Of course not! Film shouldn't be a business. It is right now, but that will hopefully change with everything else happening and remove the currently dominating production companies from the board. I will make film like I make music and write books; my way, or not at all. An auteur makes a film by doing all the parts of a given film he or she wants, no less. The very idea of leaving it to a glorified cutter during the final, crucial stages, while being very feasible and tempting practical-wise is asinine.
  And I will always do Final Cut.
  I will not attempt funding one movie, but will rather make many smaller, low- or/and zero budget movies, at least initially.

  Cheers to the digital revolution. It helped me publish my books in a very inexpensive way and without censorship of any kind. It allows people to make music and not be dependent on the industry. And it has, is democratizing movie production to a point where practically everybody can afford doing it.

No comments: