Thursday, April 28, 2011

Poet's Word - Amos Keppler: Complete Poems 1989 - 2003

This is a time machine for me, reaching back into the muddled and not so muddled past, revealing once again the truths of many a bright, a dark, powerful moment, one filled with mist and Shadow.


Poetry is yet another thing I practically stumbled over to realize how crucial it was to my life, to me constantly being born. One component was that I saw the movie Dead Poet’s Society, which obviously had an enormous impact on me and my creativity.

Except for one notable poem in High School, Reason (lost in time) I didn’t write poems, but with the film something clicked within. A novel takes years to complete. The immediate of the creative process can never be properly maintained in a novel, but is drowning in the inevitable slow burning process. A poem might take ten minutes to complete. It’s a different angle, a different skill and discipline.

Then I met an old school buddy (more like an acquaintance, really) at a reunion party. He was a member of a rock band and after hearing me read my poems, he wanted me to write a piece of lyrics to them. I wrote it, but he never got back to me, and coincidence and my thoughts and yearnings took yet another strange turn. I met a guitar player, and we started working with songs and music. I hadn’t really played much, but our collaboration led me to purchase a keyboard and inflame yet another unrealized passion of mine. The Oliver Stone movie The Doors made those two passions one, and also joined it with my radical political beliefs. It felt like fate.

Some say lyrics can’t and shouldn’t be poems and that poems shouldn’t be lyrics, but I disagree with that, like I disagree with virtually every single established voice on anything.

So, I wrote lyrics and poems and music, adding that to my already numerous other storytelling capabilities. I cried out the verses during my street theater performance all over Europe.

I’m a so called «stunt poet». That means I can create verses on the spot, in the burst of the inspired moment. Many have come to life that way.

All complete collections are in this volume. I plan on publishing next volume, Secrets late 2015. I will do it if I feel it’s done. That’s also how I’ve done it so far. When no more poems fit into a given collection they were complete in my eyes.

I could have published the single volumes individually first, before the Big Collection, but except for the Aleister Crowley illustrated leaflet, it never felt right.

Rhyming? I’ve done a few like that, just to actually do it, but have mostly left it alone.

My poems don’t fit labels any more than anything else I do.

Oh, yeah, I wrote about experiencing an LSD-high before I actually tried it. Once I tried it I could confirm to myself that my preconceived description was very accurate, and my creativity exploded yet again. If I hadn’t been a poet before that great night of April 2, 1992, I certainly became one then.

But I was, I always was. I just didn’t know it. The awareness of the fact quite simply eluded me for a time.

The fact is that I was almost 30 years old before I got serious as a writer of poetry.

Some of the poems are descriptions of my novels, either before, during or after they were written. Some, like Ragnarok and Caravan were in itself major inspirations and roadmaps for Thunder Road: ice and fire.

I see my first poems as somewhat crude today, even though I still appreciate them, exactly because of that, because they are me, the poet in its initial, primitive state. I guess you can say that the texts become more poems the later they are written.

Or not.

No matter, except for a poem first written in Norwegian, one I consider to be totally untranslatable, and that before mentioned High School poem, they’re all here, fourteen years of poetry, a lifetime, many lifetimes of the ant contemplating the Universe, of the Universe contemplating the ant.

Like almost everything I do they are stories of the world as it is, as I see it and the world as I want it to become.


The book is for sale at Amazon and AmazonUK and Barnes & Noble and basically all over the world.

No comments: