Saturday, February 05, 2011

Hysterical and fanatical grammar defenders

I said goodbye to such a line of thinking ages ago.

There is a somewhat comprehensive ongoing discussion about this. A few want everything to be by the rules, by the book, and everything outside that is a baaad thing. Case closed. No further comments necessary. Others say that you need to know the rules to break them.

I disagree with both. I was fairly familiar with the rules once, but deliberately left them behind. Virtually any adherence to those mentioned rules is a bad thing in my eyes. I have to confess you will discover some use of rules in my books, inevitably, since I have inadvertently been tainted by them, but I’ve managed to remove so much of that taint that its presence has reached acceptable levels.

What I do today are deep pools of alternative work, in both form and content, and that is how I love it, of course. My voice is and will ever be unique, also because I am constantly working with myself to develop my absence of rules further.

Most people in the established part of the business today, authors or publishers/editors are ether one of two, either journalists or English teachers (or English majors) and it shows. Generally speaking, the books they’re responsible for, in some way or another, is exactly as dull and stale as my earliest, long since discarded work, and is yet another reason I threw rules out with the bathwater, like the lukewarm shit it is.

It is always funny, when people with such, or similar background, repeat what others have yapped about to me for decades, like I haven’t heard it all before. Explaining it to them seems like a hopeless task. They seem totally incapable of thinking outside any box or their own closed mind.


And with this, I believe, I’ve attacked virtually anybody even remotely associated with the old and stale and oppressive publishing business on the Midnight Fire blog and site. If you feel left out, please inform me asap…

2 comments:

Erin Kane Spock said...

I could not agree more. You are not writing and English paper, you are creating a story.

Amos Keppler said...

Sometimes I get the impression that they prefer the English paper...