Saturday, December 11, 2010

The christmas sickness

I usually do an annual or at least biannual attack on christmas and its sick celebration, both with (gallows) humor and seriousness, and this year, by a bit of coincidence I started early. It usually results in some controversy. When people are told a truth they don't want to hear, they grow angry, of course and so also in this case.

During my first years on the Internet, when I sent out mail to the people on my mailing list, all fairly radical I could receive replies such as this:

«Why did you send this message to me? Many of us were very distressed by it. Please remove me from your mailing list immediately».


I told her I couldn’t understand why she was on it in the first place and obliged. I got rid of lots of dead meat that way…

I’m gonna document it, in a bit more detail this year, to see if it leads anywhere.


The first person has blocked me on Twitter because of this subject already and it’s just the 11.

@StephenBBagley I know it's not sophisticated or smartly cynical or even snarky, but I love Christmas. Despite the darkness of this December, I still do.

@HoodedMan @StephenBBagley christmas symbolizes greed, hypocrisy, oppression and the horror of religion http://bit.ly/8plWl9

@StephenBBagley You must be fun at christmas parties

@HoodedMan @StephenBBagley I don't go to any, of course

And that was that.

The latter link is to an excellent article by Maxine Montserrat ( @LucidGlow ) on the subject and I recommend it wholeheartedly.

2 comments:

Annikka Woods said...

You are my new hero.

Amos Keppler said...

That is great to know. :)

Needless to say I followed you on Twitter.