Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The chores of an independent author/artist

1. Write your story, your music, make your art. Do so without going to classes or schools or listen to schools of thought telling you how you should proceed. Find your inner voice (corny but true) and take it from there. Learn to write, to make art by doing, not crossing off on a shopping list of what others tell you should be or not be included.

2. Congratulations. Years later you’ve done it. You’ve completed a book, a collection of music, of poems, made a film, lots of different art. You’re ready to go public. It’s the same here. You don’t join the club and let established professionals telling you what’s right and wrong about your work, but proceed to do the publishing as independent as you have done the art itself. You don’t let others ruin your work by changing it to the point that you no longer recognize it.

3. Today you can easily do everything yourself. If you decide to partly publish your work the old-fashioned way you need a printer, but that’s all. You can do everything else yourself: the words, the music, the packaging and the distribution. Don’t bother too much about «the market» either, but get your work out there, for interesting and interested people to enjoy.

a. I’ve written quite a few books and scripts and composed music and done a lot of other stuff, and also published a bit of it. The rest is long overdue for publication, though. The main reason I initially started using the Internet was to meet interesting people, but it’s also very useful for communicating your art, in a very non-expensive way. I joined Twitter for the same reasons. – Check!

b. I’ve contacted quite a few Print on Demand (POD) printers. After some (lots of) deliberation I decided to use Lightning Source. They print real books and stuff and have that crucial world-wide distribution network. – Check!

c. What’s been missing earlier, I guess, is that I’ve virtually ignored «marketing». That’s what has been missing in my strategy (in the sense that I’ve had one at all). At least it has been half-hearted. And it will still be, probably, but a little less so, compared to during previous occasions. LSI takes care of quite a bit of it, with the packages included in their offer. – Check!

d. I’ve made my very first presentation video. A little adversity did that, making me branch out in new and fresh and unforeseen directions. With my own text and photos, and some great music I’ve put together a two-minute long still-movie without moving from the chair. – Check!

e. My webpages and blogs and general presence are well established on the Internet. I’ve also made and am making a special website for each of my upcoming novels, like The Defenseless. – Check!

f. I’m talking to people, like always, taking advantage of my extended network, gaining input, aid, ideas and inspiration. – Check!

A lot of work is ahead of me. – Check!

Firewind - my stories, art and poems on the Web

My writer «CV»

The Janus Clan

ShadowWalk

Read also these articles:

My fifty cents

True artistic freedom

Labeling and genre writing

Alarums of reality

The difficulties in describing a complex storyline

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Could we have the url of the POD company - you know for use lazies?

Thanks muchly :)

Saffy/Sarah

Sarah said...

And well done by the way!

Amos Keppler said...

Thank you. Of course. I can't believe i forgot that...