Tuesday, March 02, 2010

What’s wrong with civilization?

I loathe civilization with a vengeance.

Civilization, the one and only.

There aren’t many civilizations, only one.

Nothing in particular brought this on. It’s an ongoing thing.

I hate its outer manifestations, of course, with the destruction of all nature and all life on Earth, the millions of poisons it’s spreading all over the planet.

But worst of all, beneath its outer manifestations is its dehumanizing, how it constantly breaks down our spirit, ruining life itself, destroying everything making life worth living.

We encounter the Machine every day, wherever we go, in smaller and bigger things. It’s there, around us, inside us with its web, its chains and bars. You may tell yourself that you’re free within yourself, and to a certain degree that may be true, but the oppression, the pale existence rubs off on you. It rubs off on you, you know, inevitably.

Every time I walk into the wilderness I wake up from my relative slumber. Every time I return to civilization it feels like dying.

What’s wrong with civilization? Just about everything, really. The bad goes from very bad to worse and the initially good turns sour and stale. It's encouraging all our bad sides and quelling our good, strangling it, like it does us all, all life, all fire within.

Civilization is the disease, is inherently wrong and can never be anything else.

This is the looking glass all political issues and solutions should be seen through.

5 comments:

inkytwig said...

That's how I felt whenever I came out of the mountains in the fall. I used to spend my falls in the Bob Marshall Wilderness - no power - no phones - had to crosscut our wood, haul water from the creek. It was heaven. Returning to civilization was always traumatic for me. I know it is different from what you are saying here on your blog and the message you are conveying...but I do understand the love for nature and the desire to leave civilization and all the "crap" behind.

Sulci Collective said...

I sort of agree, but for me the solution is not a return to agrarian wilderness. My central nervous system needs to resonate to the thrum of tense transactions on the urban street, to feedback and interact with the activity and motion of a cityscape. You can argue that my body has been corrupted to rely/be addicted to this level of stimulation and I would probably give you no argument. But I don't want to reside in deserts, hermitage caves or up a mountain. I am perfectly capable of achieving perfect isolation within the overcrowded hostility of a city and I love it.

To me civilisation is an evil because of the oppression it institutes. Political, social, economic and ecological. This veneer of morals, what it is to be so called human, is an illusory veil we cloak so many evils of our own behaviour behind.

Meanwhile we lack for a developed understanding of what it means to be human. What is pleasure? What makes us happy? Are we genuinely altruistic towards our fellow man, or is it only for strategic gain? These are the questions we ought to be considering, as well as the more practical ones of renewable resources and self-autonomy.

marc nash

Amos Keppler said...

To me the very existence of power structures is an inevitable, inherent result of civilization, and very simple. I thrive outside civilization and only by exception in it.

I see how it ruins all life. It must go!

Ryan said...

Power structures exist in any gathering of people; you don't get rid of them by getting rid of civilization.

Amos Keppler said...

I disagree a lot with that.

There are no guarantees, but while civilization is encouraging all our bad sides, a tribal, nomadic culture encourages all our good sides.

In other words: it needs work, but has a greater, much greater change of success.