Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Labeling and genre-writing

I despise both, really. Both are detrimental to the story, in my not so humble opinion.

Categories, whether or not it’s the stores or the publishers using it, are wrong, and even unnecessary. It’s just that some people, a certain kind of people, critics, readers and publishers alike love labeling and will go to any length pursuing that craving. In a society where the average, where conformity is «celebrated» and originality is frowned upon, at best this is a given, rather than the exception.

People ask me if I would prefer going to a bookstore where everything is labeled from A to Z, and nothing more. Yes, I would actually, but that’s just the half of it. What I would love is to enter a bookstore celebrating diversity and daring and the controversial. That should be the norm, not the bland, massive sameness we experience today. A friend suggested to me that a bookstore these days is no different from a grocery store. I think that is the case. It is the same, bland food.

Being on Twitter lately, and as expected been confronted with how ingrained the current system of labeling and writing in general is among writers, publishers and prospective writers and artists (in general) I despair once again over how set in their mold most people are, and creative people are unfortunately not no better than the average population.

How presumptive creative people so eagerly and easily can accept being labeled is just yet another horrible mystery of the modern world.

True artistic freedom

1 comment:

Sarah VanDeBogert said...

Thank you for this. While I think labels can be useful because some stories will fit nicely into them and are useful to people who prefer those kinds of stories over others, I think there should be freedom for those of us who don't fit into one. Instead, we're told we must figure out what label we need, don't mix them too much, or else we won't be taken seriously. It's silly.