Thursday, January 25, 2007

True friendship

I helped a friend with a sudden, acute computer problem recently. I helped him over a period of forty-eight hours, where at least half of it was effective time, running a flu and a fever. I didn’t tell him about it, because I felt and feel that such facts are incidental in this matter. He thought I was just exhausted there, at the end, when I started making mistakes.

This is, in my opinion, one example of how far one should go to help a friend, to help, when help is needed, without expecting anything in return.

As stated, I use this as an example, because it is closer to home than something I read in the paper and because it’s recent, writing this while it’s fairly fresh in my mind. I don’t feel particularly praiseworthy, or elevated to god- or «sainthood» because of it. I did something because I felt it was a good thing and right for both him and me, that’s all. He was in trouble. I helped. It is, or should be that easy. It’s simply the way I see things.

Today most people won’t even be inconvenienced to help each other, far less go to any length to do so. I’m not talking christian charity and misunderstood aid here, certainly not, but about something completely opposite and different, and far more fundamental. Christians «help» people because they want something in return. They want conscripts and subservience.

We Human Beings help friends when there is a need. We don’t want subservience in anybody, and no conscripts, no conscripts at all. It is or at least should be that simple.


There should be loyalty among friends, not completely, without reservations, but at least to a point, far out there, beyond the ties of any society. Friends help each other, even without being asked. True friends should form a tribe (and often do), independently of their origin. I agree with those saying that friendship means more than blood that members of a true family hardly grow up under the same roof.

No comments: